Rashid Khan is the world’s best leg spinner currently. He is also no mug with the bat. He has a penchant for playing useful cameos lower down the order. At just 21, he holds numerous records to his name. Cricwizz takes a look at top 10 records Rashid holds in his young and promising career.
1) Rashid is the fastest bowler to take 100 wickets in ODIs. He took 44 matches to reach the milestone of 100 ODI wickets, breaking the previous record of Mitchell Starc who took 52 matches.
2) Rashid is also the fastest to take 50 T20I wickets in terms of time taken. He took 2 years and 220 days to reach 50 T20I wickets. He took 31 matches, joint second-fastest with Imran Tahir, behind Ajantha Mendis’ 26 matches.
3) He is the first player to take a hat-trick in the Caribbean Premier League. He took the hat-trick for Guyana Amazon Warriors in 2017.
4) He earns a dubious distinction of coming up with worst figures for a player in his debut match in his nation’s maiden Test match. He conceded 154 runs for 2 wickets in his debut match against India in 2018.
5) He is also the youngest cricketer to captain a Test side when he led Afghanistan to the one-off Test against Bangladesh at 20 years and 350 days in 2019. Afghanistan won the match by 224 runs.
6) Rashid was also the man of the match as he took 11 wickets and a fifty in the Bangladesh Test. He thus became the first player in the history to take 10 wickets and score a fifty in his debut match as Test skipper.
7) He has also topped the ICC rankings for the best bowler in ODIs and T20Is and also as the best all-rounder.
8) He is also the youngest player ever to captain an international side. He was 19 years and 165 days old when he captained Afghanistan in 2018 World Cup qualifier.
9) He holds the best bowling ODI figures for a player from the associate nation, taking 7/18 against West Indies in 2017.
10) He is the second bowler after Lasith Malinga to take 4 wickets in 4 balls. Rashid achieved the feat against Ireland in a T20I in 2019.
Cover picture credits: The Asian age