It was pertinent for Royal Challengers Bangalore, in front of their home crowd, to subdue the opposition and strengthen their chances of qualifying for the playoffs.
The players wore a new jersey spreading the message of greenery to create awareness among the people. The stage was set for Chris Gayle, but he once again disappointed the home crowd as he went back cheaply. Now it was the responsibility of AB de Villiers and Virat Kohli to give full value for the money. The crowd has enormous faith in the deadly duo of Kohli and ABD, but no one had any idea of what was to come.
Kohli and de Villiers put up a partnership of 229 runs, in which they mauled the Gujarat bowling. That might have spoilt the paternity leave of the missing captain Suresh Raina. He who was been blessed with a baby girl earlier in the day and must now be wondering whether to continue his break or to put an end to it.
Kohli and ABD shattered many records during their innings on Saturday. Let’s have a look at a few records they broke
- RCB captain Virat Kohli became only the first player in the history of IPL to score three centuries in a single edition.
- Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers broke their own record of highest partnership in T20. They were involved in a record stand of 229 runs.
- RCB posted total of 248 which is the second highest total in IPL history. They also hold the record of highest total in IPL, 263/5 against Pune Warriors in 2013.
- De Villiers and Kohli have become the first pair to be involved in four century stands in a single edition of IPL.
- RCB hammered 112 runs in the last 5 overs which is a world record now.
- During his marathon innings, de Villiers became the third overseas player to get past 3000 IPL runs.
- This was only second time in history of T20 cricket that two players have scored a century in an innings.