London, United Kingdom | AFP |
Peter Handscomb and John Hastings have been added to Australia’s squad for the remainder of the one-day series against England, officials announced on Sunday.
The Victoria pair have been drafted in to replace all-rounder Shane Watson (calf strain) and fast bowler Nathan Coulter-Nile (hamstring) who both suffered series-ending injuries in Australia’s 64-run win over England at Lord’s on Sunday — a result that put the world champions 2-0 up with three to play.
They join state colleague Aaron Finch, who was called up on Saturday after David Warner suffered a broken left thumb batting at Lord’s.
Australia coach Darren Lehmann said: “We’re disappointed to lose players of the calibre of David Warner, Shane Watson and Nathan Coulter-Nile but we have quality replacements on hand in Aaron Finch, Peter Handscomb and John Hastings.
“We looked at all options including the possibility of flying in cover from Australia, but the fact all three of the players we have drafted in are already in England means they can join us at short notice, be acclimatised to conditions and be available for selection immediately, if required.
“We look forward to them playing their parts in trying to ensure we finish this tour with a victory in the one-day international series against England, starting in Manchester on Tuesday night.”
Handscomb, 24, has been playing county cricket for Gloucestershire during the northern summer and also toured India with Australia A earlier this year, while Hastings, 29, has spent the off-season playing county cricket for Durham.
Batsman-wicketkeeper Handscomb has yet to feature at senior international level while Hastings has played one Test –- against South Africa in Perth in November/December 2012 –- as well as 11 one-day Internationals and three Twenty20 Internationals.
The 28-year-old Finch has been playing county cricket for Yorkshire after recovering from a foot injury.
Earlier this year he was a member of the Australia squad that lifted the World Cup on home soil and he made 135 in the team’s opening match win over England at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
John Hastings said: “It’s a little bit of a surprise as I haven’t played for Australia since 2012 but I never gave up hope and thought that if I kept on doing the right things then I would have a chance.
“I’ve been lucky enough to have done fairly well for Durham and I’m very excited…Whether I get a game, I’m not sure, but if I do then I’ll be giving it my all.”
Handscomb added: “It’s a big shock and I definitely didn’t see it coming but I’m thrilled to get the call.
“I had a good season at home and have been trying to back it up and I’ve been lucky enough to be here in England so it might be a case of (being in the) right place (at the) right time.
“Being involved with the A squad in India earlier this year was an awesome experience. I’m feeling good, and I can’t wait to join up with the rest of the players.”